You are here


A “Qualified Life Status Change” is one which allows you to make a change in certain benefits during the calendar year. After your initial enrollment as a new hire, you will only be able to change your benefits if you experience a qualified life status change.

Examples of a qualified life status change include:

  • marriage, divorce, or the beginning or end of a same-sex domestic partnership
  • birth, adoption, placement for adoption
  • death of a dependent
  • a dependent losing eligibility for coverage (child reaches maximum age, spouse/partner loses non-school district coverage)

You may be subject to audit, so you must be able to provide proof (for example, marriage certificate or birth certificate). Your benefit changes must be consistent with the nature of your qualified life status change.

If you need assistance, please call the HR Benefits at 604-852-2366 ext. 1272, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. 

Confidentiality is the cornerstone of our EFAP. It is a program that allows you to discuss your personal problems and concerns in complete confidence in an understanding and professional environment.

You and your family may rest assured that all conversation and dealings with Shepell-fgi counsellors will be strictly confidential. No information on any individual case will come back to the Abbotsford School District, or any employee group.

The program is voluntary and is not meant to interfere with the private lives of employees, nor to accept responsibility for their personal problems.

Only you can make an individual counselling appointment for yourself. You can also schedule couple and family counselling session for your family.  Family members can also schedule individual counselling sessions directly. 

You should contact your carrier(s) directly:

Teacher’s Pension Plan
Phone: (800) 842.2776

Teamster’s Pension Plan 
Phone: (888) 478.8111

Vesting means you are eligible to receive a retirement benefit from the Pension Plan you are a part of. 

Your spouse and dependent children are eligible. 

The term "Spouse" means a person who:

  • is legally married to you, or
  • although not legally married to you, has continuously resided with you in a conjugal relationship for one full year and has been publicly represented as your spouse. The term "conjugal relationship" is deemed to include a conjugal relationship between partners of the same sex.
  • A common-law opposite sex spouse or same sex spouse being added after your coverage commences will become eligible on the completion of a one-year cohabitation period. Employees applying for coverage will be required to provide the date of cohabitation on the application form to verify eligibility. Adding a common-law spouse will be based on the date of eligibility and handled in the same manner as adding a spouse following marriage.

The term "Dependent" means:

  • all natural children, legally adopted children, and stepchildren. Children of the person with whom you are living in a conjugal relationship are also eligible, provided such children are living with you. All children must be unmarried, under the age of 21 and dependent upon you for support or unmarried and under the age of 25 and be in full-time attendance at a specialized school, college or university. Coverage for your dependent child is effective to the end of the month in which he/she ceases to be eligible for benefits.
  • The age restriction does not apply to a physically or mentally incapacitated child who had this condition prior to the attainment of age 21.