You are here



While on vacation you have up to 6 weeks coverage while out of province on vacation.

Eligible expenses shall include reasonable and customary charges incurred during the first 6 weeks of absence from the member’s province of residence for the following expenses as the result of an emergency outside the province while travelling or on vacation, to the extent that such expenses are not payable or provided under or pursuant to Medical Services Plan of B.C., the Hospital Programs of B.C., Pharmacare, any other medical plan or plan of insurance, any Hospital Program or Workers’ Compensation Act or by any public or tax supported authority or agency.

Refer to Teamsters’ Benefit Booklet (PDF)

As noted above, this coverage is limited to a maximum period of absence from your province of residence of 6 weeks. If you are outside your Province of residence for longer than 6 weeks it will be necessary for you to obtain additional coverage from a travel insurance provider.

Toll free in North America 1-800-527-0218

Worldwide 1-410-453-6330

FrontierMEDEX PLAN Identification Number 347521 

If your overage dependent is living with you and attending University with a course load of 3 or more courses, you can fill out an application form to add your dependent to your Teamster's Health & Welfare Plan. 

If you had a Qualified Life Status Change, you can fill out the required application form to add your dependent to your Teamster's Health & Welfare Plan. 

If your dependent is overage, download the Overage Dependent application form to print and complete. 

If you had a Qualified Life Status Change, you can fill out an application form to add your dependent to your Medical Services Plan. 

For adding your new baby, you can fill out an application form to add your baby to your Medical Services Plan. 

If your overage dependent is living with you and attending University with a course load of 3 or more courses, you can fill out an application form to add your dependent to your plan. 

In the event that an eligible person is also entitled to benefits under any other group insurance program or insurance policy, benefits will be co-ordinated with the other plan or insurer to ensure that the total benefit paid from all sources does not exceed 100% of the reasonable charges for the services and supplies provided.

If your spouse is covered under another plan, we follow the guidelines of the Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association. These guidelines are used by most, if not all, insurers in Canada.

We are the primary insurer for your expenses. Your spouse’s insurer is the primary carrier for your spouse’s expenses. Dependent children become the primary responsibility of the plan who insures the parent who has the earliest birth-date in the year (month and day).


If the Plan is the secondary carrier, please remit copies of receipts paid by the primary carrier along with their statement of payment details.


If your coverage under the plan terminates you may personally apply to continue coverage for a maximum of 12 months for Extended Health, group life and A.D.& D. If the School District has been providing basic medical (M.S.P.) coverage through the plan, you may continue this coverage as well.

Application must be received within 30 days of coverage terminating and subsequent payments must be received by the 15th of each month. Continuing benefits are not available if:

  • You have attained age 65 or;
  • You are totally disabled and receiving long term disability benefits under this plan. (The plan currently provides group life, A.D.& D. and extended health benefits at no cost to members who are in receipt of long term disability benefits from the plan.)

To qualify for continuing benefits you must remain a member of the Union in good standing.

This coverage does not include weekly indemnity, long term disability or dental benefits.

Prescription drugs for persons whom which we have primary responsibility (see Dual Coverage - Coordination of Benefits, above), the plan will pay its portion of your claim to the pharmacist at the time you get your prescription filled. Simply give the pharmacist the information from your drug card, and you should only have to pay your portion of the eligible expense.

If we are not the primary insurer you should make copies of the receipts and then claim the expense with your spouse’s plan. Once the primary insurer has settled the claim, complete an extended health benefit claim form and send the copy of the receipt and the other insurer’s claim details to us.

Please note that the drug card does not work outside of Canada and will only be activated if you have provided the plan with proof of registration under the Fair Pharmacare program.

For any other eligible expenses obtain an extended health benefit claim form from your employer, the plan’s office, online at the District Website or the Teamsters Local 31 Website.  Mail it to us along with original receipts. Please note, the plan will return the original receipts to you with your claim payment. We do, however, recommend that you always make copies of receipts.

Claims for any calendar year must be submitted within 12 months from the end of that calendar year.


For basic and major services a B.C. Standard Dental Claim form (most dentists maintain a supply) must be completed by the dentist and forwarded to the plan administrator.

For orthodontic services receipts should be submitted as expenses are paid.

Claims must be submitted within 12 months of the date in which the service was performed.

Your group life insurance will be paid to the beneficiary you named on the member data form provided by the plan. If no such designation has been filed, the benefit will be paid to your estate. It is very important that beneficiary information is kept up to date.

Please call the Teamsters’ Benefit Plan’s office if you wish to confirm who is on file as your named beneficiary. You may change your beneficiary whenever you wish, subject to applicable laws, by completing a change of beneficiary form available from the plan’s office or online

Contingent Beneficiaries

You may designate a sole beneficiary or you may want to take into account the possibility that your sole beneficiary may pre-decease you.  In order to ensure that your life insurance is dispersed in the manner you desire, you may want to designate a second beneficiary. This is known as a contingent beneficiary. In this case, the designation would read, "Jane Doe - Wife, If Living, Otherwise to my son Robert Doe".

Multiple Beneficiaries

An alternate method to designate a beneficiary is to specify the percentage of the total proceeds to be distributed amongst more than one beneficiary. For example, the designation would read, "Jane Doe- Wife, 50%; Robert Doe - Son, 25%; Judy Doe – Daughter,25%.

Please contact Naomi Parker in Human Resources as different leaves have different implications and processes.