Instructional Support Competencies
Essential Skills for Student Support
Abbotsford School District instructional support employees consistently demonstrate the following skills for student learning:
Supports Student Learning
Supports physical, emotional, academic and social learning.
- Acknowledges that all students can learn
- Encourages self-determination and independence
- Treats mistakes as part of learning
- Responsive to the needs of learners
- Follows collaboratively developed plans for students (Individual Education Plan, Learning Plan,
- Behaviour Plan, Safety Plan)
- Records appropriate data and reports this information to team members
- Uses technology to meet student needs and models appropriate use of all technology
Caring & Inclusiveness
Supports diversity and inclusive practices within the classroom, school and community.
- Models safe, caring, inclusive and ethical behaviour in words and actions
- Demonstrates empathy and understanding towards others
- Demonstrates a commitment to each student and their unique needs
- Supports inclusive practices by fostering peer to peer interactions
- Understands and supports incorporation of Indigenous culture in lessons and activities
Flexibility & Adaptability
Readily adjusts and adapts to changing circumstances.
- Remains calm when dealing with challenging situations
- Demonstrates resiliency
- Applies creative problem solving in a variety of situations
- Recognizes the need to adapt approaches to meet students unique needs
- Uses time management skills to effectively prioritize multiple demands
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
Considers and responds appropriately to the needs, feelings and capabilities of others. Tactful, compassionate and respectful.
- Establishes positive relationships with students and team members to enhance learning
- Acts as a role model for students, demonstrating professionalism in communication and manner
- Demonstrates clear verbal and non-verbal communication abilities
- Listens and seeks to understand other people’s ideas and concerns
- Asks questions to clarify and understand others
- Models confidentiality and sensitivity in all communication (written, verbal and non-verbal)
- Establishes professional boundaries with students, parents, and caregivers
Collaboration & Teamwork
Understands the importance of teamwork to support student learning and foster team go.
- Respects diversity and values the input of others
- Deals with conflict in a positive, constructive manner
- Shares information and knowledge applicable to student learning within a team setting/context
- Works cooperatively with colleagues and contributes to positive work environment
Pursues and participates in meaningful learning opportunities.
- Reflects on practice and identifies areas of strength and opportunities for growth
- Engages in professional learning activities to update knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Implements new learning into practice